If you’ve scrolled on social media for 10 minutes, you might be acutely aware of the ever growing craziness around the Coronavirus. This pandemic is super scary and has resulted in countries closing their borders. Even good ole’ toilet paper is flying off the shelves!
Which makes things very difficult if you have planned a wedding for the next few months. You’ve probably asked yourself a dozen times if you should cancel or continue pressing forward with lots of umming and ahhing. In this unprecedented time, as a wedding planner, I wanted to share with you my thoughts on the matter to hopefully help you make a more informed decision.
If you’re thinking about postponing your wedding, I would highly suggest picking a date that is either a weekday or a Sunday. It’s likely that your wedding vendor is booked out on all Saturdays for the rest of the year as Saturdays are very popular for weddings. It’s also more likely that ALL your vendors will be available for your date and you won’t need to do a lot of schedule juggling.
That being said; please be wary of fees. Most vendors are very understanding and are willing to change the date at no extra charge as long as they are available for your new date. If they cannot be, it’s likely that they will keep your non-refundable deposit because they’ve turned down other couples to keep that date for your wedding despite the circumstances. Some vendors may even return your deposit but that’s up to their discretion. Of course there’s also some vendors that will charge a fee for you to postpone unless the lockdown is government ordered so please be aware of these options.
To avoid disappointment, even if you haven’t made a decision yet, I would highly suggest just sending a quick email to your vendors and asking what their policy is and what their thoughts might be in response to Coronavirus. Be fully informed with all the fees and the available dates in order to create a better Plan B.
Another thing to note is that a lot of countries have already begun closing their borders for international travel which may mean that some of your guests are no longer able to attend your wedding. If those people are very important to you, you could take the hit with the fees and postpone your wedding OR you could speak to your videographer or sound engineer to see if they can set up a streaming service so no one has to miss out! I’m more than happy to recommend some vendors who could stream for you if you’re stuck on this.
If you do choose to go ahead, perhaps add some extra precautions like tissue boxes, hand sanitisers, anti bacterial wipes, Dettol etc… and scatter them around your wedding. Perhaps even ask your guests to please stay home if they are sick because their health is your first priority.
Overall, we all need to work together to stop the spread of this virus – in whatever way that looks like. Please feel free to reach out to your vendors and chat with them about your thoughts! We are here for you. We care about you. And we want to help make sure your wedding day is still very special even in these unfortunate times. Then again, you’re marrying your best friend so it will be special regardless.
If you are unsure about anything or just need some help, please feel free to send me an email or give me a call.
Myself and my team at Bubbles and Bouquets are always here to help.